This year I have created advent story rocks to illustrate the story of Jesus' birth for my four year old daughter during the month of December. The prior weeks I have written about Week 1 Advent Rocks, Week 2 Advent Rocks, and Week 3 Advent Rocks. I have been inspired by story stones such as those shown at Teach Preschool. Each day I present Miss E with a new rock and add to the story of Jesus' birth. The story is simple to suit the preschool level maturity of my daughter. We keep the rocks on a dish at her level so she can use them for playing and storytelling.
Final Days of Advent Story
22. The three wise men were warned in a dream not to return to Harod to tell him about Jesus' birth, so they did not return to the king when they left Jesus.
23. An angel came to Joseph to tell him not to return to their home in Nazareth because it was not safe for Jesus because King Herod wanted to hurt him.
24. Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus went to Egypt because it was safer for Jesus.
25. Baby Jesus grew up with his parents, Mary and Joseph. When he became a man, he would teach his followers and carry out God's plans.
*The bolded words are depicted on the story stones.
Directions to Make Advent Story Rocks
- Find 25 flat, clean rocks. I bought river rocks at Hobby Lobby for less than $4, but they can also be found outside for free.
- Print free clip art images on the internet using Google image search. Resize them on computer as needed to fit your rocks. If you can draw well, you can draw the pictures too.
- Use lamination glue or Mod Podge to adhere pictures to rocks.
- Allow to dry overnight.
- With a permanent marker, write each day's number on the other side of the rockFor older children, you can tell each day's story element, and the child can draw on the rocks. Permanent markers work best on rocks, and you can paint over the drawing with Mod Podge or Lamination Glue.